In order to adjust to the changing educational needs in a changing society, the graduate school has been divided into research and education organizations since April 2007. Research and education are carried out under this new structure: the Faculty of Education (research) and the Graduate School of Education (teaching).
The Faculty of Education comprises two departments: "Human Developmental Sciences" and "Educational and Social Developmental Studies" and the affiliated Child Development Clinical Research Center. The Department of Human Developmental Sciences researches the nature of human development in modern society from infancy to old age from many different angles. The Department of Educational and Social Developmental Studies researches social structures for ensuring the lifelong development of the individual. The Research and Clinical Center for Child Development bridges these two fields, and conducts research on practical issues related to education.
The Graduate School of Education aims to train researchers in theoretical and practical issues relating to education and professionals with high levels of expert knowledge. There are both Master’s courses and Doctoral programs in eight courses: the Pedagogical Foundations of Education, Life-long Education, Educational Social Sciences, Educational Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Health Education, Physical Education and Multicultural Education. As research in the Graduate School of Education covers many fields, faculty members are drawn from a variety of research departments and centers, not only the Faculty of Education.
The overview of the eight courses in the Graduate School of Education are as follows.
- 1 Pedagogical Foundations of Education
- It is assumed to be a problem to develop new curriculum guidance and the student guidance that can deal with a modern problem of big change in the decrease in growing difficulty of the class management, child and student's willingness to learn, and scholastic decline and the student cultures, and to pursue the ideal way of a flexible school system and educational administration overall and empirically. To solve these problems, it is important to learn the education history and educational situation of different countries while searching the present state of organization/system, content and methods of school education. In this course, we will be exploring ways to create a new school education from a broad perspective.
- 2 Life-long Education
- In this modern age there are many challenging issues such as child care support, prolonged transition to young adults or lifestyle planning for advance age, environmental problems and building a sustainable society. In order to solve them it is necessary to create a new intellect and rebuild the community. The theme of this course is to clarify the ideal way of learning and the support to a new subject formation on which it works from the aspect of Social Education, Higher and Continuing Education, Lifelong Learning to the above-mentioned problem.
- 3 Educational Social Sciences
- The person grows up through the education, and becomes a bearer of society. Therefore, not only for the development of individual education, it also has great significance for the maintenance and development of society. Simultaneously, the education has received various influences from the ideal way of the society. As for the way of education, condition the fact that it is attached is actuality in various ways with the mechanism of society. In this course, it searches for the current situations and issues of the relation between the education and the society while basing the result of Social Sciences like Sociology, Economics, and the Social Welfare etc.
- 4 Educational Psychology
- In this course we are going to explore the problems of mental and physical development of infants to adolescents, and to the adults relating to the education of home, school, and society. Here, the problem of Human Development and study is developed on the basis of the knowledge of Developmental Psychology and Psychophysiology. Furthermore it keeps thinking of the problems which from wide point of view relate to Educational Psychology, with the cooperation with the sciences such as Pedagogy, Special Education, Neuroscience and Clinical Psychology.
- 5 Clinical Psychology
- It is a course to train the Clinical Psychologist who is an advanced specialist to help to the people who hold various difficulties concerning development, education, and the adjustment, etc at home, school, and the regional society. Also aims at training of researchers as well as practitioners. Practicing research and the theoretical investigation are done while valuing the question from the person concerned. The course is carried out by performing the practice both inside and outside the school on Psychological assessment, Psychological interview, and intervention.
- 6 Health Education
- Health Education aims toward the health promotion for a new social system of elderly society. In this course Health Science, Physical Fitness Science and Exercise Physiology are learned. In Health Science, Clinical epidemiology research of the life-style related illness, including the Society Health Education of child and elderly is carried out. In Physical Fitness Science, research regarding the improvement and health maintenance on the scientific basis of motion, nutrition and rest is carried out. Furthermore in Exercise Physiology, research regarding consuming energy, the mechanism and the physiological homeostasis (homeostasis) is also carried out. Through these, scientific technicality rearing the talent who can contribute to the society which is supported in study practice characteristic is done.
- 7 Physical Education
- It is assumed to be a problem to develop the scientific research of Human Movement and Human History and to plan the way to practice the Human movement in School education/Regional education. In this course, as the phenomenon which it occurs with the horizon where the human and culture perception – Human movement as a movement system are complicated you consider, you approach to body motion in the entire framework, such as that furthermore you feature that it approaches to the various education which mind the body of School education and Regional sports etc. Combining the system of coordinates of the time base, the social axis and the private axis, the special field as in the chart below is shown.
- 8 Multicultural Education
- Ideal way of education in order to keep promoting mutual understanding, cooperation and the symbiosis in multi languages & multi cultural societies is pursued.
- Exceeding the country and area, it has reached the point where it receives big influence from the culture where the way of advancement and study of the individual is various in the times when the people and culture move actively. Whether in this kind of society, advancement and study of some kind of contents being operated, whether some problem exists there, one should elucidate through the various cases, keep searching the form of proper pluralistic cultural education international education.